The conference takes place on Thursday 27th September 2018 at ETC Venues - St Pauls, London.
This hugely popular Annual Conference is now in it's 11th year and is long established as a must attend event with Developers and Local Authorities from across the UK. It is by far the largest and longest running event on Residential Development Planning in the UK and attracts a sell out audience each year. We expect huge popularity again in 2018 so please book early to guarantee your places.
The 2018 National Conference has been completely updated to offer a fresh perspective on current Viability and Planning issues. If you are involved with Residential Development Planning Permissions then this is the event for you.
9.30am – Morning Session – Includes Networking Coffee Break
- Opening Address - The Government Perspective on the Direction of the Planning System
- Understanding the policies and potential impact of the new NPPF – where are we going & what will it deliver?
- What is new in Planning for Residential Development & where are the fundamental changes?
- What is the progress of the Government Consultation on Viability and can we reach a point where confrontation can be avoided?
- Understanding the Housing Delivery Test – how will it work in practice and how will it be phased in?
- Politics & Planning – What are the realities for Delivery?
- What part does Politics play in Planning?
- Do devolved Mayors across the UK Regions boost delivery & how do planning powers vary?
- What impacts are they having and is this a positive evolution for the planning system?
- Why is there still such significant gap between Planning Permissions granted and Homes actually delivered?
- What are the potential Brexit impacts?
- London – How is Planning in London working to deliver more housing?
- The New London Plan – How will it work in practice and how has the draft been received?
- Will it enhance relationships between the GLA & the London Boroughs?
- How does the new plan make the 65,000 homes target more achievable?
- How will the GLA work with Local Authorities outside the London Boundaries & why is this significant?
- How is the Mayor’s fast track approach for 35% Affordable Working & what percentage of applicants accept the deal?
- How do Late Stage reviews work & how can developers have certainty when such a process exists?
How do we identify areas where large scale development can take place?
- What is the situation with new Garden Villages & Towns?
- What has happened to the 14 selected areas?
- How do we deliver major new settlements and what is the role of the planning system & partnerships in this process?
- Looking at the link between Infrastructure & Housing
- How do major transport hubs & regeneration fit together?
- Why is major infrastructure so key to mass delivery of housing?
- Looking at Local infrastructure – how is this important to building a community?
- How does planning and delivery fit into this process and what is the reality?
- What is the role played by new communities in getting housing delivered and how can the planning process fit with this goal?
- Where are we with developer contributions for Residential Development?
- What are the current CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy) & Section 106 regimes and how have the various reviews worked and been implemented?
- Do we need to go further and how can we improve this system?
- How can Local Authorities best ‘value capture’ from new development, both with current legal realities and in an ideal world?
- What is happening on the ground & how much can Local Authorities realistically capture before they stifle development?
- Plans, Plans and more Plans – working out where we are with Local Plans, Neighbourhood Plans & Strategic Plans
- How do these various plans work together and what is the state of play with each?
- Local Plans and Objectively Assessed Need
- Neighbourhood Plans – Where are we and how can we speed up the process & make it more effective?
- Where does the Strategic Plan fit in?
- Review Mechanisms & appeal strategies- Understanding the Planning Inspectorate approach
- How will viability be treated on appeal?
- What are the trends in the numbers of appeals to PINS?
- What is being allowed and what are the current timeframes?
- Where do NSIPs (Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects) fit in and how does this process work?
- How important is transparency in the Viability & Planning Process?
1.30pm – Networking Lunch Session
2.30pm – Afternoon Session
- The Key Planning Decisions from the Last Year
- What significant Planning Appeal Decisions have there been & why are they significant?
- Which Court decisions & Secretary of State Decisions which affect planning do we need to be aware of and why?
- Looking at s106 challenges in detail - what is happening and which are working?
- Which recent appeals and case law are crucial to Viability? What do developers and Local Authorities need to know about?
- Best Practice Guide for Developers on doing a Viability Assessment – Avoiding Common Pitfalls and Mistakes.
- Understanding the Local Authority perspective on viability – What are they looking for and how should they work with developers?
- How does the duty to deliver affect the Local Authority view?
- Understanding Benchmark Land Value and how Market Value is calculated, Valuation Date & it's effect on sales values and costs, and Review Mechanisms
- Do Viability Studies really reflect the Developer’s decision making Process?
- How can Local Authorities have a modern professional approach to the Planning System that delivers Housing?
- Looking at bringing in Private Sector Assistance – when does this work well?
- How does the Planning Performance Agreement build a stronger relationship between the Local Authority and Developer – how does it work and what are the incentives?
- How far has the Pre Application meeting evolved and why is it now a key part of the process?
- How could future interaction and initiatives between Private and Public Sector Planners be advantageous to the process and understanding each other’s role?
- How else can we break down Private & Public Sector barriers to improve the Planning Process?
- How can Public Private Joint Ventures help deliver more Housing and where does the planning system fit in?
- How can Local Authorities work with Developers to Deliver more Housing?
- Is it time for innovation and pragmatism to come to the fore to facilitate delivery?
- What do LAs look for when working with developers and what is the best approach to a planning application?
- Best practices for Pre Application, Application, compliance, fees and delivery – How Developers can best work with the Local Authority.
- Panel Session: How can a collaborative approach between developers & LAs best be achieved?
- How can the Planning Permission & Development process be made more efficient?
- How do Local Authorities view the current planning system & what is their opinion on current legislative changes?
- The Developer Perspective on Viability, CIL and the Changes to the Planning System
- How can the private sector help Local Authorities?
- What would make life easier from their point of view and what do they like about the system?
4.20pm - Close and Networking Drinks Session for Speakers & Attendees
To learn how to book a place, please click here